Monday, January 3, 2011

USPS Express Mail's Dirty Little Secret

Because of the nature of my wholesale business, I use USPS Express Mail.

A LOT.

LOTS AND LOTS OF MOOLA A YEAR.

For the most part, it is relatively reliable and easy to print labels from the Click & Ship Online program that also gives you a discount for paying online. And, they advertise, you just drop off the package and do not have to wait in line with a package already labeled and paid.

How easy. How convenient.

Until you try to get a refund for a package NOT delivered AS ADVERTISED.

I had encountered some resistance when getting a refund before. Hoops to be jumped through at just the right angle. But, nothing like this morning.

MONDAY: JANUARY 3, 2011 9:27AM

I had 5 refunds due me. FIVE LOUSY REFUNDS. I took the Original Receipt that I printed. I took a copy of the USPS Track & Confirm printout showing the failure to deliver AS ADVERTISED. I was met with a SCROWL by the lovely Post Office Clerk, who snatched the papers out of my hand and strolled to the back room. After a few minutes, a different clerk came out to take care of the other customers, obviously glaring at me so all could see her displeasure.

After about 20 minutes, the clerk came back and told me she could only refund ONE of my five because her PRINTER WAS BROKEN.

Really?

First business day of 2011, 9:47am in the morning. Her printer is broken and I'll have to go to ANOTHER POST OFFICE.

REALLY!?!?

So, I come home and call USPS Hotline, who gives me the Local USPS Customer Service. I visit with him about my experience. And then go to the Home Base Post Office for this area.

This time, I am greeted with a smile and politeness. She takes my paperwork and disappears into the back "to confirm" everything, leaving one clerk at the counter.

THIRTY MINUTES GO BY.

She finally returns and tells me that only ONE is eligible for a refund because I had ONLY DROPPED THEM OFF AND DID NOT STAND IN LINE TO GET A RECEIPT FROM THE CLERK WHEN I MAILED THEM.

HUH?!?!?

Where is that rule when you are filling out and paying for the label ONLINE?
Where is that rule posted when you are in a lobby of a Post Office?
Where is that rule posted next to the words "Guaranteed Overnight Delivery"?
Where is that rule when the Post Office sings the ease of Click & Ship packages?
Why does the clerk not inform you that you will NOT get a refund if you do not stand in line to get that additional receipt?

Not sure what my next move might be, but be sure I am doing web searches for Class Action Lawsuits against the USPS Post Office for untruthful and misleading advertising and intentionally leaving out important information about their "guarantee" so they do NOT have to refund their failure.

Be sure of this: I will think twice before I pay for Express Mail to the USPS again.

I guess, more than anything, I am disappointed at the deception. I will certainly be more diligent in the future about learning all the rules and not being so trusting, which has always been my weak spot.

1 comment:

  1. Unless you have a clerk scan your item as accepted, there is no proof of what time you dropped it off. Something dropped off after the cut off time for express mail wouldn't be picked up until the next day. It would take an "extra" day to be delivered.

    ReplyDelete